If you see default gateway is not available error message, then don’t worry because you are not alone. A lot of Windows users are reporting about this issue. You will also see a red X on the network system icon and not capable of utilizing the net connection. Annoying as it might be, it is possible to resolve. Here are a few fixes for you to try. You might not need to try them all; simply work your way down to come across the best fix.
Troubleshooting The Default Gateway Is Not Available Error :
We have mentioned a few fixes to resolve the default gateway is not available issue. Simply work your way down to find the best fix for your problem.
Fix#1: Disable The Feature Of Auto Logon
A lot of Windows users reported this problem having a connection with, for causes just the Big Guy in the sky acquaint the feature of auto logon that MS introduced with the Win 8. This feature, as soon as their pc starts, logs you onto the account that was being utilized when the pc was shut down. There’s no straightforward and obvious set of instructions that you can utilize for disabling this feature, but just assigning a password to all your accounts on the pc will keep this feature at bay and stop it from being logged on.
If you are afraid of forgetting the password(s), just make certain that the passwords you make are extremely easy and simple to remember, and you can even choose to make hints for the passwords. It ought to even be simpler if you switch to an MS Account in place of a Local Account because it’ll let you reset the password simply utilizing the e-mail address if it is forgotten.
Fix#2: Remove The Antivirus Software
In a lot of cases, this default gateway is not available issue is reasoned by the McAfee security software. If you have any McAfee security software installed, you ought to uninstall them:
- From the keyboard, hit the Win + R buttons simultaneously > enter appwiz.cpl > hit Enter.
- Click on the McAfee software > click on Uninstall button.
- You may have to restart the pc after the uninstallation.
IMPORTANT: You ought to always leave Win Defender on, particularly when you do not have any 3rd-party antivirus apps installed.
Fix#3: Uninstall The Network Adapters Driver
- Hit Win + R buttons > enter devmgmt.msc > press Enter for opening the Device Manager.
- Next, expand the Network Adapters > locate the network adapter name you have.
- Make certain you note down your adapter name just in case something goes awry.
- Then, right-click on the network adapter > simply uninstall it.
- If windows ask for your confirmation then simply choose Yes.
- Restart the computer and attempt to reconnect to the network.
- If you are not capable of connecting to the network, then it denotes your driver software is not installed automatically.
- Now, you have to visit the manufacturer’s official site and download the required drivers from there.
- Install them and restart the computer.
By reinstalling your network adapter, you ought to definitely resolve the default gateway is not available problem.
Fix#4: Update your network adapter’s drivers
- Look for the Device Manager > click to open it. Expand your Network adapters > right-click the network adapter that you’re presently utilizing > click Update Driver Software from the contextual menu.
- Now, click Search automatically for the updated driver programs and permit your Windows to look for and download any accessible program updates for the drivers of your network adapter.
If the hunt for the latest version of the drivers of your network adapter yields zero results, there’s quite a major chance that the outcomes are false negative and that latest network adapter’s drivers versions actually exist. For some reason, your Windows Update fails to locate latest versions of your network adapter drivers in numerous cases.
Even if your driver update utility states that the network adapter’s drivers are updated, be certain to go to the official site of the PC’s or the manufacturer if network adapter, navigate to the Downloads page and verify whether or not the latest version of the drivers of or network adapter is accessible. If the latest drivers’ version is accessible, download and install them on your affected PC.
- If the affected system has problem maintaining a steady net connection for the amount of time needed for you to update the drivers of network adapter, look for troubleshooting > open your Windows Troubleshooter > choose Network & Internet > click Internet connections > click on Next button > choose Troubleshoot my net connection and pursue the onscreen directions, and the net connection ought to be restored at the end of the procedure, at least for a large adequate time for you to update your drivers of network adapter of the affected system.
If that does not help, you can download the updated drivers for the affected PC’s network adapter from the official site of the manufacturer on a diverse PC, move them to the affected system using USB or DVD and then install them to fix the default gateway is not available problem.
Fix#5: Disable The Options For Power Conservation
Newer Windows versions comprise a power saving feature that can disable certain drivers for conserving power. Such a feature can at times malfunction and permanently disables your drivers. Fortunately, you can simply disable this feature. And for that:
- Hit Win + R buttons at the same time for opening Run dialog box.
- Enter devmgmt.msc > hit Enter.
- Then, double-click your Network Adapter option.
- Next, right-click the driver that you’re utilizing > choose Properties.
- Now, click Power Management > uncheck the option that says Allow the PC to switch off this device to conserve power.
There are a lot of individuals who also install 3rd-party firewall programs for managing each outgoing and incoming connections. If you’ve also done so, you ought to disable it as it can also help you resolve the default gateway is not available error. If it fixes the issue, you have to either tweak a few settings or completely uninstall it.