If you’re utilizing the Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox browser in your Windows system to browse the web and get an error message that says something like the proxy server is refusing connections while opening an online site, then this article will be capable of assisting you in solving this issue in windows. Although we’ve provided the instructions for the Mozilla Firefox, you have to do the similar troubleshooting for the Google Chrome as well.
What Is A Proxy Server And When You Face The Proxy Server Is Refusing Connections Error?
The most common utilization of the proxy is inside a company. Corporations frequently make use of a proxy server for filtering all the internet traffic. The proxy server is a component of the 2-way form of communication.
- The incoming internet traffic is checked for the attacks and threats from malicious programs and files.
- The outgoing internet traffic is filtered for the members of staff who might be attempting to access inappropriate sites.
In a few cases, a private ISP (internet service provider) that you utilize at home might also need the utilizing of the proxy server. But, more commonly the browser will have complete access to the internet without making use of the proxy server. The proxy server is refusing connections issue shows up when the proxy configuration either on the computer or the web browser gets changed. It can be because of the malicious programs. Or it may be that somebody unintentionally changed the proxy settings of the Mozilla Firefox.
How Can You Really Resolve The Proxy Server Is Refusing Connections Issue ?
We have mentioned a few of the best solutions that can really help you out in resolving the proxy server is refusing connections error. So without further ado, let’s begin:
Solution#1: Checking The Proxy Settings In The Web Browser
The Mozilla Firefox permits you to set up the proxy in a variety of ways. However, if you’ve just made any changes and after that, the issue is emerging on the computer screen while opening any web page using the browser, the basic fix is to check your proxy settings in the Mozilla Firefox browser. And to do so:
- First of all, open your web browser> navigate to Menu > click Options. Make certain you are in General tab. Then, scroll down > under the Network Settings, click on Settings.
- The option of utilizing system proxy settings ought to be set by default. However, enable No proxy > save the change you have just made. Now see whether it resolves the issue or not. In case, you desire to make use of a proxy in Mozilla Firefox; you have to select the Manual proxy configuration > properly set it up.
- If the network has the proxy setting and you desire to take that, you have to choose the option of auto-detect proxy settings for the network.
Solution#2: Removing The Proxy Server From LAN (Local Area Network)
In the case the proxy server is refusing connections issue isn’t the browser-specific, you’ll no longer be capable of opening any web page on your browser, or a few may open while the others fail to do that. The proxy server is refusing connections issue then, clearly, has something to do with your local area network (LAN) settings. Type Configure Proxy Server in your Win 10 search bar and recognize the connections. Disable the proxy server that might have been present. Refresh your Mozilla Firefox browser, and the issue ought to be gone by now.
Solution#3: Disable The Manual Proxy Setup From The Settings Panel
In Win 10, there’s an option available in the Settings menu, which you can utilize for setting up the proxy. If you’re getting the proxy server is refusing connections issue, you ought to disable it temporarily and see if the issue remains or not. For that,
- Open the Win Settings by simply hitting the Windows + I keys at the same time > navigate to the Network and Internet > go to Proxy.
- On the right side, make certain the automatically detect settings option is enabled and utilize a proxy server is disabled.
- Now, see if you can open sites in the Mozilla Firefox or not.
Solution#4: Checking For The Adware Or Malware
The worst scenario is that you are infected with some malware that is carrying on changing the internet settings. If you do not already have an antivirus program installed on the PC, search out the best antivirus application you can locate and install it on the system. Run a complete scan on the pc and remove any troublesome applications that it finds. It might also be a great idea for installing good Adware cleaners, particularly as a browser add-on.
Solution#5: Checking The VPN (Virtual Private Network)
At times if you’re utilizing a Virtual Private Network application, there’s a chance to get this issue. In such a case, you ought to do these:
- Disable your virtual private network temporarily and see if you can now open a site or not.
- Change the server and see if it’s now opening or not.
- Change your virtual private network application if nothing is helping.
Solution#6: Resetting The Network Settings
If none of the changes that you have made in setting above worked, the system might require network settings reset. If that is the case, it is likely that all your browsers have been affected. No web browser will be capable of connecting to your internet. Regardless of the cause, the simplest solution to resolve the proxy server is refusing connections is simply reset the network settings. You can do so utilizing this procedure.
- First of all, click Start > enter cmd > right-click command prompt > choose Run as admin.
- Enter the ‘netsh int ip reset,’ ‘netsh winsock reset’, and ‘netsh winhttp reset proxy’ in order.
Such commands can reset the network interface as well as all winhttp and winsock settings. If malware or something else unintentionally changed such settings, such commands will set everything back to normal.
- Once you are finished, reboot the computer and see if the Mozilla Firefox internet connection is functioning.
Solution#7: Clearing The Internet Cache Of The browser
When nothing is helping, you ought to try this fix as well. For clearing the Firefox cache:
- Open Options > go to Privacy and Security > under website Data and Cookies, locate the Clear Data option. Then, select Cookies & Site Data and Cached Web Content > click on Clear button.
- In Google Chrome, you’ll be capable of doing so through Settings > go to More tools > choose Clear browsing data.
Solution#8: Editing The Registry
One problem that can distress the network connection is if you utilized a proxy server previously, but now you connect to your net without it. Frequently, there’re leftover settings in the Win Registry. You can clean such by following these simple steps:
- Click Start > enter regedit > hit Enter.
- Go to the registry path: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings
- Before taking any of the below steps, right-click Internet Settings > export it to some safe place on the pc as a backup. If anything fails, you can recover it by opening your registry and importing such file.
- Search for any keys that state the word proxy. You can remove such settings to get rid of the proxy settings.
- If you do not see the proxy settings > click on the upper-level Internet Settings > hit Ctrl + F keys > look for the registry keys that hold the word proxy.
- If such a setting is a file path, either delete or clear that key. If it is a Boolean setting such as 0 or 1, simply change that setting to 0.
Reboot the PC, open the Firefox again, and see if now the proxy server is refusing connections is gone.
At times the proxy server is refusing connections problem can also occur because of the maladjusted router IP (internet protocol) address. In such a case you have to check for a possible mismatch between your LAN IP and router IP. Anyways, after performing the solutions mentioned above the error should have been fixed by now.